Hello, my name is Jamie Holmes. I founded Jamie’s Dream Team in 2005 when I was just eighteen (18) years old. Jamie’s Dream Team is a Pennsylvania nonprofit corporation that is considered a public charity by the Internal Revenue Service and is exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The mission of Jamie’s Dream Team is to offer hope when there is little, to ease the burden caused by serious illness, injury, disability, trauma, or catastrophic events, and to finally celebrate individual differences by acknowledging dreams as possibilities.. The purpose of Jamie’s Dream Team as a public charity is to provide assistance and/or make distributions to or on behalf of qualifying individuals who are handicapped, disabled, terminally ill, severely injured or suffering from a serious medical condition, disease, or trauma. Jamie’s Dream Team is managed by a nine (9) member community based Board of Directors. All funds raised by or donated to Jamie’s Dream Team are used to further its charitable purpose.
I was born with a rare disorder known as V.A.T.E.R. Syndrome. Children born with V.A.T.E.R. Syndrome can have congenital abnormalities of the vertebrae, lower intestine ,trachea, esophagus and kidneys. I was born with abnormalities in all of those areas. I have had over forty-five (45) surgeries and/or medical procedures since my birth, including surgeries to reconstruct my esophagus, trachea, and lower intestine , and to fuse several vertebrae in my spine. One (1) of my kidneys disintegrated and my remaining kidney does not fully function. I have been very fortunate throughout my numerous hospitalizations and surgeries, though, to have had the support and love of my family, friends, doctors and nurses. Although I was seldom without pain and sometimes, embarrassed about my condition, when friends and family showed up to support me with balloons and other gifts I felt like a Princess. I remember wanting to share this feeling of joy with the other kids at Children’s Hospital that I would meet. All I wanted was to give them my balloons, and have them feel a little of the happiness that others had brought to me. Despite the pain and suffering that I have, and will continue to endure, my heart has always been with others who are suffering. As such, I started Jamie’s Dream Team to fulfill my dream of helping people of all ages who are suffering from serious illness, injury, disability or trauma. I know personally that fulfilling “dreams” is the best healing of all, as receiving a “dream” helps heal the spirit.
Thank you for your interest in Jamie’s Dream Team. I hope you will find the mission and purpose of Jamie’s Dream Team as uplifting and fulfilling as I do.
For more information about me and Jamie’s Dream Team please read the articles posted below.
IN MdKeesport Area Magazine: Jamie’s Dream Team in Fall 2014 Issue
- Jamie’s Dream Team – White Oak resident Jamie Holmes makes dream come true for the seriously ill - IN McKeesport Area – Page 14-15 – Fall 2014 Issue – McKeesport, PA - September 2014
Patriot Ledger Newspaper: Commentary by John Reilly on Saturday December 7 2013
- Gratitude for the ability to do - Commentary by John Reilly – Patriot Ledger – Quincy, MA – December 7 2013
- Jamie was honored by Values.com – The Foundation for A Better Life – November 26 2013 in The November Values.com Monthly Newsletter
- Jamie was named Runner-UP – NextRealityStar.com – Pittsburgh, PA – August 29, 2013
- Jamie was honored by The Points of Light Foundation – pointsoflights.org – Atlanta, GA – June 10 2013
Award: 2012 Jefferson Awards for Volunteerism – Presented April 29 2013
- Jamie has been notified she was one of 50 – 2012 Jefferson Award Winners for volunteering in Western Pennsylvania and for her work with Jamie’s Dream Team. 2012 Jefferson Awards – June 20 2012 – Jamie will be presented the Jefferson metal on April 29 2013
- Six Pittsburgh finalists for Outstanding Volunteer Award chosen, All have won 2012 Jefferson Awards – (Jamie named as one of six finalists) – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – Pittsburgh, PA – April 14 2013
- Jefferson Awards: Her wish: Make others happy – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – Pittsburgh, PA – April 17 2013
- Jamie was honored with many others fom Pittsburgh and Allegheny County
- Whirl Magazine Presents: 13 Under 30: Western Pennsylvania’s rising stars, all under the age of 30! – Whirl Magazine – Pittsburgh, PA – March 1 2013
Award Pictures: Awards & Proclamations on Jamie’s Dream Team Facebook Page
- ‘Their hearts are fully in it’: Meet the founder of a Pittsburgh wish-granting organization with international dreams – July 26 2012
From The Phoenix Magazine
- Phoenix Magazine – Jamie’s Dream Team – December 2011
From Courage-to-shine.org – Courage to Shine Role Model for the month of January 2012
- Dreams by Holmes, a young lady who truly makes dreams come true – January 10 2012
From UroMed.com in UroMed Hometown Heroes
- Article 1: Jamie Holmes of Jamie’s Dram Team explains you have to know what your focus is - December 6 2011
- Article 2: A life-changing decision: Jamie Holmes decides Christmas is about giving not receiving – December 7 2011
- Article 3: Jamie Holmes founded Jamie’s Dream Team to help others – December 9 2011
- Article 4: Jamie Holmes of Jamie’s Dream Team learns that helping others cures most of her illnesses – December 10 2011