Hello, my name is Jamie Holmes. I founded Jamie’s Dream Team in 2005 when I was just eighteen (18) years old. Jamie’s Dream Team is a Pennsylvania nonprofit corporation that is considered a public charity by the Internal Revenue Service and is exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The mission of Jamie’s Dream Team is to lift the spirits of those suffering from, and ease the burden caused by, serious illness, injury, disability or trauma. The purpose of Jamie’s Dream Team as a public charity is to provide assistance and/or make distributions to or on behalf of qualifying individuals who are handicapped, disabled, terminally ill, severely injured or suffering from a serious medical condition, disease, or trauma. Jamie’s Dream Team is managed by a nine (9) member community based Board of Directors. All funds raised by or donated to Jamie’s Dream Team are used to further its charitable purpose.
I was born with a rare disorder known as V.A.T.E.R. Syndrome. Children born with V.A.T.E.R. Syndrome can have congenital abnormalities of the vertebrae, lower intestine ,trachea, esophagus and kidneys. I was born with abnormalities in all of those areas. I have had over thirty (30) surgeries and/or medical procedures since my birth, including surgeries to reconstruct my esophagus, trachea, and lower intestine , and to fuse several vertebrae in my spine. One (1) of my kidneys disintegrated and my remaining kidney does not fully function. I have been very fortunate throughout my numerous hospitalizations and surgeries, though, to have had the support and love of my family, friends, doctors and nurses. Although I was seldom without pain and sometimes, embarrassed about my condition, when friends and family showed up to support me with balloons and other gifts I felt like a Princess. I remember wanting to share this feeling of joy with the other kids at Children’s Hospital that I would meet. All I wanted was to give them my balloons, and have them feel a little of the happiness that others had brought to me. Despite the pain and suffering that I have, and will continue to endure, my heart has always been with others who are suffering. As such, I started Jamie’s Dream Team to fulfill my dream of helping people of all ages who are suffering from serious illness, injury, disability or trauma. I know personally that fulfilling “dreams” is the best healing of all, as receiving a “dream” helps heal the spirit.
Thank you for your interest in Jamie’s Dream Team. I hope you will find the mission and purpose of Jamie’s Dream Team as uplifting and fulfilling as I do.
For more information about me and Jamie’s Dream Team please read the articles posted below.
- Jamie was honored with many others fom Pittsburgh and Allegheny County
- Jamie was one of five recipients of the 2013 KDKA NewsRadio 1020: Larry Richert Honors Hometown Heroes
- Jamie and the other 5 recipients were honored on Thursday March 7 2013 at the Lexus Club at PNC Park.
- Whirl Magazine Presents: 13 Under 30: Western Pennsylvania’s rising stars, all under the age of 30! – Whirl Magazine – Pittsburgh, PA – March 1 2013
Award: 2012 Jefferson Awards for Volunteerism
- Jamie has been notified she was one of 50 – 2012 Jefferson Award Winners for volunteering in Western Pennsylvania and for her work with Jamie’s Dream Team. 2012 Jefferson Awards – June 20 2012 – Jamie will be presented the Jefferson metal on April 29 2013
- Six Pittsburgh finalists for Outstanding Volunteer Award chosen, All have won 2012 Jefferson Awards – (Jamie named as one of six finalists) – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – Pittsburgh, PA – April 14 2013
- Jefferson Awards: Her wish: Make others happy – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – Pittsburgh, PA – April 17 2013
Award Pictures: Awards & Proclamations on Jamie’s Dream Team Facebook Page
- ‘Their hearts are fully in it’: Meet the founder of a Pittsburgh wish-granting organization with international dreams – July 26 2012
From The Phoenix Magazine
- Phoenix Magazine – Jamie’s Dream Team – December 2011
From Courage-to-shine.org – Courage to Shine Role Model for the month of January 2012
- Dreams by Holmes, a young lady who truly makes dreams come true – January 10 2012
From UroMed.com in UroMed Hometown Heroes
- Article 1: Jamie Holmes of Jamie’s Dram Team explains you have to know what your focus is – December 6 2011
- Article 2: A life-changing decision: Jamie Holmes decides Christmas is about giving not receiving – December 7 2011
- Article 3: Jamie Holmes founded Jamie’s Dream Team to help others – December 9 2011
- Article 4: Jamie Holmes of Jamie’s Dream Team learns that helping others cures most of her illnesses – December 10 2011